This August Help Seniors Take Advantage of Summer
Richmond, TX (August 2015) In August summer is in full swing- a season that reminds adults of favorite childhood memories like outdoor picnics, long bike rides and visits with family and friends. Those good memories are carried in the hearts and minds of seniors everywhere, and many relish the season fondly and should seize the moment. Clayton Oaks celebrates summer with events and activities that take advantage of the summer season and all it has to offer seniors.
Clayton Oaks would like to suggest some ideas to take advantage of the last month of summer with the seniors in your life.
- Family get-togethers: Summertime is a good time to invite family over because you can use the outdoors as part of your entertaining space. Make it easy and ask everyone to bring a favorite dish.
- Take a short trip. Find places to visit within your city or town, or in the near vicinity. Ideas include zoos, sculpture parks, museum grounds, ponds or lakes, marinas, beaches, community gardens or nurseries, hiking trails, shopping villages and downtown areas. Even a walk around a pretty neighborhood you don't visit very often can provide surprising sightseeing opportunities.
- Backyard Picnic: Everyone loves a picnic! Eating outside can make even a simple meal seem a welcome change of pace. But you don't have to trek to a park, beach, or forest preserve; it's just as fun and much easier to have one in your own backyard.
- Summer Events: In the summer, many community centers, churches and others serving seniors offer a variety of special summertime events that are fun and easy to partake in. A good place to look for information for these events is in your local newspaper, the library, or you can search online for senior events in your city.
- Walks: With warm weather and extended daylight, take a walk in the early to mid morning or around dinnertime.
- Ice Cream: Buy a box or two of your favorite ice cream flavors at the grocery store or head out for this all-American cold treat, it is truly one of life's pleasures.
- See, Smell and Touch: Choose a good summer book to read in the shade of the outdoors; buy toiletries in a favorite summer scent, like lavender, or strawberry and bring in flowers from the garden. Sounds simple- it is.
- Drink Plenty of Liquids: It's mentioned all the time for good reason, people and especially seniors forget to stay hydrated. It may be easier to drink several small glasses of water or a favorite beverage throughout the day and at meals instead of a few big glasses.
- Keep your drinks cold: Place your beverage bottles or cans in a bucket; add a layer of ice, followed by a layer of salt and repeat until you reach the top. Fill the bucket with cold water. The water in the ice bucket will be colder than normal, chilling in less than 10 minutes.
- Freeze the ordinary: Freeze coffee into ice cubes to make a delicious iced coffee and freeze fruit for a delicious, healthy cool snack.
- Keep Yourself Cool: Stay inside during the hottest hours, and stay in the shade when outside. If you can't provide exterior shading, use blinds, roller shades, or tightly woven draperies to keep the sun from heating up rooms and interior surfaces that can continue to radiate heat for hours. And remember malls, movie theaters or libraries are air-conditioned.
Caregiver Vacation: Everyone needs a break now and then for a long weekend or vacation, especially caregivers. If you are not able to find someone to step in as caregiver while going away, take advantage of respite beds at senior living communities where rooms may be available for short-term stays - helping to give caregivers time off.
If you have questions or would like more information about senior care options contact Chessa Rapp, community marketing director at Clayton Oaks 281-341-6200.
About Clayton Oaks Living
Clayton Oaks Living will provide the finest in assisted living and memory care options for Sugar Land area residents. Located in Richmond, Texas the expert trained staff will assist residents with the highest standards of senior care services. It is operated by Integral Senior Living, which manages independent, assisted living and memory care properties. ISL is founded on a care philosophy that fosters dignity and respect for residents and promotes their independence and individuality. For more information call 281-341-6200 or visit www.claytonoaksliving.com.
# # #
Community Marketing Director, Clayton Oaks Living